DR. PATTY BODE
Westfield State University
Social Justice Education.
Photo credit: JOHNPOLAKPHOTOGRAPHY.COM
NEWS & UPDATES
So jazzed for National Art Education Association/NAEA, convention from March 14-16 in Boston! Cannot wait to reunite with so many alumni, colleagues, critical friends and meet others to expand Art Ed community connections. Check out my 3 sessions, including 1 super-session!
Looking forward to NAEA's national convention March 14-16, 2019 at Hynes Convention Center in Boston:
Super-session: "Curriculum with Criticality for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion"
is the title of a super-session curriculum panel I am facilitating with 8 examples of curriculum units by various presenters who address identity and prioritize inclusion in linguistic, racial, religious, racial, ethnic, abilities, gender, sexual orientation and socioeconomic complexity. March 16, 2019. Saturday. 2:00-3:50 PM. Center/Veterans Memorial Auditorium/Level 2. Curriculum presented by:
· Joni Boyd Acuff. Associate Professor at The Ohio State University Department of Arts, Administration, Education and Policy. Columbus, Ohio.
· Rachel (Shuman) Armentano. Art Teacher, Rocky Hill School an independent school in East Greenwich, Rhode Island.
· Melanie Blood. Art Teacher, Brockton High School, Brockton Public Schools, Brockton, Massachusetts. (Melanie and Amanda are co-presenting their segment).
· Amanda Gil. Art Coordinator, Everett High School, Everett Public Schools, Everett, Massachusetts. (Melanie and Amanda are co-presenting their segment).
· Christopher Love, Art Teacher, The Rivers School, an independent school in Weston, Massachusetts.
· Kristen Ripley. Art Teacher, Amherst Regional Middle School in Amherst Public Schools, Amherst, Massachusetts.
· Nicole Singer. Art Teacher, Fort River Elementary School in Amherst Public Schools, Amherst, Massachusetts.
"Transgender Identities and Critical Curriculum"
I am co-presenting with Rachel (Shuman) Armentano & student. Rachel's high school student will tell the story of their journey in transgender identity in school, and I will present a case study of middle school curriculum centered on a photo-text exhibit that, amplifies transgender voices. Interdisciplinary approaches transform teacher understandings and student questioning. March 16, 2019. Saturday. 11:00:AM - 11:50:AM. Center/Meeting Room 306/Level 3.
"Continuing Racial Literacy in Art Education" co-presented with Derek Fenner
Derek and I are continuing our conversation about racial literacy in art education, and are counting on you to join us to stretch boundaries and open barriers. March 14, 2019. Thursday. 4:00:PM - 4:50:PM. Center/Ballroom B/Level 3.
See my TEDx Talk
I gave a TEDx Talk at TEDxOhioStateUniversity.
I titled the talk: "Art Education as Civil Right." The video is available for viewing online.